1. Guest, feel free to chat with us on our official IRC channel via mIRC: irc.northfire.net in #Zelda or by clicking the Chat link on the forums or on the main page.

Making an NES game in ASM(assembly)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Edward_Stryfe, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Edward_Stryfe

Edward_Stryfe A man of many pixels :: Also an Abercader

I'm trying to build an NES game in assembly, I found a couple of tutorials and I'm still looking and learning. This is unfortunately my first time delving into the assembly language. So it's a hellish delight. Cause it is unbelievably simple once you get past the essential code language. It's very root level and therefore once the basic understanding is there it won't be too bad. But does anyone here know assembly? I initially started with this tutorial https://squareknot.com/workshop/3805/project/5933 but it in all honesty just gave me the knowledge to build a box that the NES can recognize. I've now found this tutorial http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=7155 which cause of my internet and time and computer I have to copy paste it to really be able to read it. So I'm archiving it and it seems pretty in depth so hopefully it works out. I already have a sprite making application, emulator, debugger, and compiler so tools wise I'm good. It's just a pain to find any definitive and decent content for assembly for some reason. I'm aware it's unbelievable primitive still though it's a shame there isn't more out there.

• Like (+1) Like (+1) x 3
  2. LinkSkywalker

LinkSkywalker Cocky Little Freak

I don't have any experience with assembly myself, but good luck mate. Look forward to seeing the finished product!

3. Edward_Stryfe

Thank you and yeah I figured there probably isn't anyone who is learned in that language here. But I figured it was worth a shot. I'm still not too sure what I plan on doing in the end but hopefully it'll be good I'm getting the essential learing bits out of the way so I can let the creative stuff interfere when it won't interrupt the flow of learning that needs to stream into my brain before I can start the project.

4. Silent Lion

Silent Lion Rawr.

• Like (+1) Like (+1) x 1
  5. Edward_Stryfe

Thanks a ton I will.

6. Lexatom

Lexatom Blockbuster Advocate

Make sure to send me the rom once you're done, if you want. :3

7. Eduardo 6u9

Eduardo 6u9 #SELFIE ;3

Which is the base game?