1. Guest, feel free to chat with us on our official IRC channel via mIRC: irc.northfire.net in #Zelda or by clicking the Chat link on the forums or on the main page.

Most disappointing handheld

Discussion in 'Older Nintendo Handhelds' started by alakazam, Nov 11, 2015.

1. alakazam

alakazam Active Member

Oh, look, another one of those 'haters gotta hate' threads that alakazam makes!

Well, hopefully this won't be a completely negative affair, but I'm looking forward to finding out which Nintendo handheld disappointed you the most and why. Please, share your opinions in this thread.

• Like (+1) Like (+1) x 1
  2. Sardonic Pickle

Sardonic Pickle Active Member

I can't decide between the new 3ds or gameboy micro
    Leaning toward the micro

3. Kaynil

Kaynil Well-Known Member

3DS:
    1848-2038-9377
    NNID:
    Kaynil
    SFC:
    SW-0598-4137-8986
    I'd say the Virtual Boy but I never owned one. :lol:
    It was still disappointing given that it looked dorky. It seemed very uncomfortable. It didn't offer many games and it didn't last long on the market. The idea was good but the execution was terrible.

In many ways I think Nintendo has been re-taking the ideas they couldn't make in decades past now that technology is less limited. I think the Wii was inspired by the power glove and guns from the NES and the 3DS inspired by the ideas from the Virtual Boy.

4. CM30

CM30 Active Member

Is the Virtual Boy really a handheld? It was marketed as one, but by design it didn't work well for that purpose.

Outside of the Virtual Boy, the DSi was a bit disappointing. Nice concept, but it just didn't really offer enough reasons to actually buy it, not least the lack of games supporting its camera feature and other stuff.

5. Kaynil

Kaynil Well-Known Member

3DS:
    1848-2038-9377
    NNID:
    Kaynil
    SFC:
    SW-0598-4137-8986
    I agree in both accounts. I don't know if it really could be counted as portable, but since that seemed to be the intention I included it in my opinion.

The DSi felt to me like a half baked prototype. At the time the idea seemed good but as soona s the 3DS was announced I am sure it made more than few people bitter about spending in a model that would soon become obsolete. 3DS plays DS games and handles better the virtual shop, camera, etc that the DSi brought.

I think the New 3DS XL is alright it is just it should had been the only console. It just seemed like a slap to have a new model slightly better so soon. The Youtube in 3D and bettwer browsing experience were good for users like me that actually spend some time with them. But for a gamer that doesn't go on the eshop or use other applications besides the games. It is kind of pointless. Not sure if the 2DS counts as disappointed, it seemed puzzling at the time but they basically addressed the parents fears of durability and kids bypassing the 3D restriction.

And gameboy Micro is cool. I wish I had gotten my hands with one back in the day. :-P

6. Lexatom

Lexatom Blockbuster Advocate

I had a Game Boy Micro back then, and I could play it. Then my hands got too big.

7. Sardonic Pickle

Sardonic Pickle Active Member

Exactly. Way too small.

8. alakazam

alakazam Active Member

People play games on the Apple smartwatch and that thing's screen is less than 2 inches wide...

9. Lexatom

I don't have money fo' that shieetttttt.

10. Kaynil

Kaynil Well-Known Member

3DS:
    1848-2038-9377
    NNID:
    Kaynil
    SFC:
    SW-0598-4137-8986
    That's missing the point. :-P
    If people can play in a screen for a wrist-watch then the micro has a chance.
    That said I do get your point. I just like how much of a "pocket" item it is. If I owed one I'd be a bit afraid to lose it.
    Too bad they are not that easy to get nowadays.

11. CM30

CM30 Active Member

The Micro's main failure was that it didn't really offer a reason to buy one. It was a small Game Boy Advance, and that was it.

And with the original and SP already out... well, only the few people who cared more about 'fashion' than common sense actually bought one.

12. Kaynil

Kaynil Well-Known Member

3DS:
    1848-2038-9377
    NNID:
    Kaynil
    SFC:
    SW-0598-4137-8986
    :lol: Fashion.
    It was attractive to me at the time simply because I didn't already own a GBA but I do agree with your main point and if I recall correctly it was too expensive for being a smaller GBA. I guess in that sense, Micro was pretty underwhelming.
    Can you guys think in other handhelds that disappointed you?

13. Cressel

Cressel ばか

The brightness on the screen to play in the dark sold it for me.

14. Lexatom

I completely forgot how bright that screen could get. It put me in the hospital (Not really...)

15. Akiranon

Akiranon New Member

For me personally? The original GBA.

Mainly because the plastic casing melted while it was in the back of our car. I had forgotten to take the GBA out of the car, so it was just sitting there in the burning Italian sun for several hours. Needless to say the thing didn't completely survive the whole ordeal. Amazingly enough it still turned on, but the cartridge slot was warped and the screen had these huge black spots on it (which did disappear over time). I still have that GBA in a drawer somewhere, lol.

The screen was also hard to see if you weren't close to some sort of light source. I remember having one of those worm lights, but it didn't really help much. :^^U:

16. Kaynil

Kaynil Well-Known Member

3DS:
    1848-2038-9377
    NNID:
    Kaynil
    SFC:
    SW-0598-4137-8986
    That soudns heartbreaking. I'd probably would have a hard time if I came back to my car and my console was semi melted. I am sure my parents would have some words with me as well. :XD:
    But yeah, I can totally see what that console disappointed you.