1. Guest, feel free to chat with us on our official IRC channel via mIRC: irc.northfire.net in #Zelda or by clicking the Chat link on the forums or on the main page.

Recurrent What are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Literature & Comics / Manga' started by LinkSkywalker, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Kaynil

Kaynil Well-Known Member

3DS:
    1848-2038-9377
    NNID:
    Kaynil
    SFC:
    SW-0598-4137-8986
    Currently, I am reading Smile or Die by Barbara Ehrenreich, it is alright. It basically raises concern on how positive thinking can get distorted into the land of delusion where anything bad that happens to you, even illness, are your fault and mean you didn't have a positive attitude. Looking for the best outcome ignoring what are the most likely ones and prepare accordingly. The book has mixed reviews and I feel like the author jumps to extremes to impulse her views but it is a nudge to make you more aware and get critical about what we're being fed.

That's pretty cool. Congrats on getting the book signed.

2. Silent Lion

Silent Lion Rawr.

Recently discovered two books that I adore.

The Organised Mind

by Daniel J. Levitin

Most of us want to be more oganised, but this is the only book that has succeeded for me, because it backs it up with the modern neuroscience. Neuroscience is a big fascination for me right now, so it ws the perfect time to stumble on this. But even beyond how to be more organised, it goes into ways of making your brain healthier and happier. With very little effort, I now get twice as much done and feel half as tired. Amazing.

A Completely Impartial History Of Britain
    by John O'Farrell

If you know a thing or two about history, his sarcastic parody of events really jumps out. Things like 1649: Charles I sentenced to be beheaded. Head sewn back on after appeal. If you don't know the events, is just ludicrous and maybe midly amusing, but it is actually what happened in a roundabout kind of way. Having my understanding of history irreverently shat on is very refresing. I know the facts, but not "put like that". Still a great introduction to British history if you want to get into the subject.

• Like (+1) Like (+1) x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  3. Kaynil

Kaynil Well-Known Member

3DS:
    1848-2038-9377
    NNID:
    Kaynil
    SFC:
    SW-0598-4137-8986
    Sounds pretty intriguing to me. I might benefit from it and maybe recover a piece of me I feel I lost while growing up.

• Like (+1) Like (+1) x 1
  4. JennyorAlice

JennyorAlice Member

I've got several books stacked up on the night stand next to my bed. I'm always in the middle of reading something.

Among the things I'm reading is "Heart Shaped Box" by Joe Hill. He happens to be one of my favorite authors.

5. LinkSkywalker

LinkSkywalker Cocky Little Freak

After a bit of a dry spell with reading, today I picked up "Symbolic Logic" by Copi, and have been enjoying going back through that. I've also finally gotten around to cracking open Kiel Chenier's "Blood in the Chocolate."

6. 'zilla

'zilla Blarf

I got two sci-fi books from the library that I'm reading right now:

The Gods Themselves by Isaav Asimov
    The Last Theorem by Arthur C. Clarke & Frederik Pohl

I recently rented The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin. Didn't get through it in the allotted time, and I might rent it again later.

7. Silent Lion

Silent Lion Rawr.

If someone told me there was a book called that, I'd have said "Sounds like the sort of book LinkSkywalker would read.

8. LinkSkywalker

LinkSkywalker Cocky Little Freak

Yeah, I've certainly got a type I suppose. =P

I finished it, actually. It was a solid adaptation of the idea behind Charlie and the Chocolate Factory into a game format. Also Kiel is good people, and the art was striking. I enjoy the juxtaposition of the cute and the violent.

I'm currently reading "England Upturn'd," which is disappointing so far, but we'll see how it goes.

9. JennyorAlice

JennyorAlice Member

I'm also reading a book called "The Land of Spells : The Enchantress Returns" by Chris Colfer. Both are turning out to be good books so far.

10. Claraviolet

Claraviolet Active Member

I am re reading cut and run series. I like it a lot and I mean a lot.
    I like comedy and witty comments and this series just ticks all the requirements