1. Guest, feel free to chat with us on our official IRC channel via mIRC: irc.northfire.net in #Zelda or by clicking the Chat link on the forums or on the main page.

Zelda Cavern Dungeons & Dragons

Discussion in 'Projects' started by LinkSkywalker, Sep 2, 2015.

1. LinkSkywalker

LinkSkywalker Cocky Little Freak

So, due to a variety of developments, I've currently found myself without any ongoing D&D games for a bit. And I was wondering: would ZC like to play some D&D?

Here's what you would need:

-A working microphone.
    -A google+ account. You'll need to install the hangouts plugin.
    -The ability to set aside 2-4 hours of time that overlap with the availability of the others.

Here are some things to know about me as a referee, so you know what to expect:

-I like to take care of the complicated stuff myself. You don't need to learn any rules in order to start playing. Once we get started, you'll pick up on what you need to know.

-I don't do a heavy narrative focus. I'm not telling a story, I'm providing challenges. When the players overcome the challenges, a story is created by the group, rather than simply being fed to the group from the referee.

-At my table, characters die. I do my best to create an environment where your death is never cheap, but death is still frequent. Fortunately, I also play a very rules-light game, so creating a fresh character only takes a couple minutes.

If you're interested, post in this thread and let me know which type of game world you'd like to play in:

1. Traditional fantasy world. The kind that shows up in every video game ever.
    2. An earth history based world, were monsters and magic lurk just outside the sight of everyday folk.
    3. A science fantasy world, where wizards and mad scientists are pretty much the same thing.
    4. Some kind of exceptionally fucked up fantasy world. Like living in a Dali painting.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    • Like (+1) Like (+1) x 3
  2. Lexatom

Lexatom Blockbuster Advocate

I guess I'll give this a go. I'd prefer if we did this on Labor Day weekend, but I dunno if the aussies have such thing. I've never played D&D before, so I have no idea how this is going to turn out. I don't really mind which kind of game world we play in, but I'd prefer the first one, due to my familiarity with video games. I'm looking forward to this!

3. Kaynil

Kaynil Well-Known Member

3DS:
    1848-2038-9377
    NNID:
    Kaynil
    SFC:
    SW-0598-4137-8986
    Sounds pretty cool. I am not sure if I could participate, but I definitely would love to this such a proposal to move forward.

4. LinkSkywalker

If there are ~3 people with interest we can move forward. Otherwise we can put this on hold and wait until we have some more members.

I only suggest it now because I'm actually 100% D&D free at the moment, which is a bummer. All of my games are on hiatus for one reason or another.

5. Kaynil

Kaynil Well-Known Member

3DS:
    1848-2038-9377
    NNID:
    Kaynil
    SFC:
    SW-0598-4137-8986
    That excluding you?

Also, how much knowledge of D&D must we have before engaging?

6. LinkSkywalker

Yeah, 3 people excluding me. I won't be playing, I'll be the referee. 3 players is the lower end of group size I'd be interested in running.

No knowledge of D&D is necessary. I can provide any information that people need about the game during play.

• Like (+1) Like (+1) x 1
  7. Link

Link Hero of Time
    webmaster

3DS:
    ‭3368-5725-4601‬
    NNID:
    zeldacavern
    SFC:
    SW-6709-6167-2399
    What a bunch of nerds :p

8. Edward_Stryfe

Edward_Stryfe A man of many pixels :: Also an Abercader

This one for sure, but I've never played D&D do I need to read the rules and get that all set in my brain? I played Warhammer and Magic the Gathering a few times when I was 7-10yo that's it though

9. LinkSkywalker

A bunch of guys crowdsourced a book called Narcosa all about drugs which should come in handy if we end up pursuing that path.

You don't need to learn any rules. None at all.

IF YOU WANT TO: pretty much every game I run is based on Lamentations of the Flame Princess, which is a revised version of the late '70s D&D B/X ruleset. A no-art version of the LotFP rulebook is available for free here:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/11505...Version?filters=0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=2795

Although I should also note that one of the many reasons I use LotFP is because it's modular. I run several things differently than Rule As Written LotFP.

HOWEVER: Reading this is completely optional right now. Another reason I use LotFP is because it's simple. I know the rules, all you have to do is show up and tell me what your character does.

10. LinkSkywalker

[​IMG]
    Yup. Suck on it.

• Like (+1) Like (+1) x 2
  11. Edward_Stryfe

Edward_Stryfe A man of many pixels :: Also an Abercader

freaking beautiful ^^^

12. Aphelion

Aphelion Marvelous Mad Madame Mim

I've played a good bit of DnD (4e and 5e), and I would be up for this completely. It's been a LONG time since I haven't been a GM, so this would be incredibly refreshing (to finally be just be another player... and to also not have to worry about a gajillion rules that just screw up RP would be nice too).

Count me in if this ever gets to be a thing. :3

13. LinkSkywalker

I'm still open to doing this, though aside from Lexatom and Aphelion, I don't think there's a lot of interest in moving forward. Particularly given a number of folks being in crazy, unamerican timezones.

• Like (+1) Like (+1) x 2
  14. Lexatom

You should all move to America.
    >:c

15. LinkSkywalker

How Ameri-centric of you.

16. Lexatom

At least I'm not redneck/country like. I may live in Tennessee, but I was born in the city of Atlanta. That, and I get my heritage from Colorado (Mom) and New Jersey (Dad).

17. LinkSkywalker

Dude, I'm a Seattleite. Anything between me and New York is hicksville as far as I'm concerned. =P